Wednesday, August 15, 2007

My favorite things

Travelling for work can be tedious, but it also has some nice benefits, like staying in great hotels. Beautiful, old hotel in Charleston had a credenza at the foot of the bed, out of which popped a television. That was cool. Then there was the place in Whistler, British Columbia with the amazing view of a mountain out the window of my room. Santa Fe has a hotel with really old woodwork that felt comforting and homey. But the way to really capture my heart is to have an amazing bathtub.

I'm a shower girl for the most part. We've been in our house 9 years and I've taken exactly 2 baths. There are times when a tub just calls to you. One of those was in Lake Tahoe at Caesar's Palace. The hottub was nearly as big as the bed, which was in the same room. I filled that bad boy to the brim, which took quite a while, added bubbles, and then turned on the jets, ever so slightly. It was amazing. Definitely too big for one, but that's the drawback of travelling alone. The other drawback was the sound of bubbles popping, and popping, and popping while I was trying to go to sleep.

My brother-in-law's house has a great tub. It's your standard inhouse bubble tub, but there's a fire place involved. That room was so toasty warm it soaked right into my bones. Yum.

My all time favorite is the hotel at the Vancouver Airport. It's been my privilege to stay there twice, and I'd love to go again. Something about marble walls surrounding a nicely proportioned tub from which you can see the television, control the lights in the room, and have the world's most amazing towels and robe available, well it's a winner with me.

If I ever build a house I might try to recreate that one. Except I'd have to clean it. Might lose some of it's appeal...

6 comments:

erin said...

Precicely why I never take a bath.
I never want to wash the tub.

kristi noser said...

One of the best things Poppers built into our house is a huge claw foot bathtub that faces a shelf that holds the tv and vcr/dvd player. Ahhhh.

erin said...

FUN coffee table book idea:
"World's Best Hotel Bath Tubs," by Kristin Beckenbach and Erin Duffert-Desvousges

Or even better: by, Erin & Kristin Leigh

Kristin said...

LOVE IT! When do we start the research trips?

Kristin Leigh

Katie R. said...

The bathtub we HAD to use, there was no shower, during our visit to Scotland was small and the hot and cold water came out of seperate faucets. Shampoos were difficult to say the least.

erin said...

I say we start our research in DesMoines, and work our way gradually outward toward the coasts.
Thoughts?
Erin Leigh
p.s. As Kristin and Erin Leigh, we could market ourselves as a lot of things. Lots of interesting angles to take. Something to think about.