Friday, August 31, 2007

I Saw the Light


I can check one thing off my life list of To-do. I saw Todd Rundgren in concert at the Nebraska State Fair. There's no way to capture the experience, no way to even remember most of it, but I shall do my best to try.

Jeff and I went to the fair about 3. Weekday afternoons are perfect for quiet wandering, not much crowd. We saw quilts, and dresses, tomatoes and beer. All produced by the good people of Nebraska. Jeff would like to be a judge in the pastry competition next year. We'll have to work on that. The photography exhibition was inspiring. We watched children play with baby goats, and the baby goats play bumper cars with each other. We laughed at a goofy clown on a diving board. He wasn't diving into water at all, he had a trampoline! We walked the midway, just for the fun of it. Saw a great exhibition of all the food products developed in Nebraska, and an industrious colony of bees doing their best to contribute.

Then the event really began. I joined the line of early groupies at 5, Jeff went to take in more sites. Only a few of us took up positions to make sure we had the perfect place in the open air hall. Not that there's a bad spot, it only seats 6000. The sound check nearly brought tears to my eyes. There he was, singing "Let's Go" and I was hearing him live. Others yelled for his attention from beyond our chain link prison, I just stood in awe.

After the sound check some people wandered away. Others of us were left to visit with each other and talk with the young man at the gate. He has obviously had some experience with chemicals in his life, they were not kind to him. But he was pleasant enough, as were the others in our gang of instant friends. "Are you a Todd fan or a Cars fan?" Most of us were able to choose one or the other, but no one was disappointed these elements would be sharing the stage.

Our friends Kim and Anita joined us after 5. Kim had scored a VIP pass. That entitled him to dinner and a meet-and-greet with the band. Jeff and Anita went in search of food and beverage. I stayed in line. Something about being there in anticipation of the concert to come kept me riveted to my spot.

At 6 the plastic strip barrier with the diamond shaped flags came down with an admonition from the gate staff to please walk. Okay, whatever. Like any of us were the type to sprint. We had just been swapping grandkid pictures, we weren't running anywhere. I walked down the aisle from the back of the house, my hand like a divining rod held out over the wooden bleachers sensing for just the right spot. Jeff and Anita joined me and the one hour wait to concert time began. We chatted with the folks around us, shared our reviews of the t-shirt selection available, and swapped concert stories.

Meanwhile Kim was off meeting the band. It was a line of folks paraded past the band like they were royals. A quick hand shake, one group photo -- no private cameras allowed -- and they were out the door. Kim was able to yell, "Hey Todd, when's the next album coming out?" Todd yelled back, "This spring, and I like your t-shirt!" It was The Who concert shirt from a few years back. Good choice Kim.

This is where words will fail me. Live music is better than recorded, like books are almost always better than movies. Even with the difficult acoustics in the barn of a building, and the mix that took some time to get just right, there was not a disappointing moment in the hour-and-a-half concert. "Drive" the Cars classic that asks the question, "Who's gonna drive you home tonight?" was the musical non-Todd moment of the night for me.

"It was late last night,
I was feeling something wasn't right,
There was not another soul in sight, Only you, only you.
So we walked along, though I knew that there was something wrong,
And a feeling hit me oh so strong about you,
Then you gazed up at me and the answer was plain to see,
Cause I saw the light in your eyes."


Song by Todd Rundgren, written in 1972 for the album "Something/Anything?" and performed wonderfully last night in Lincoln, Nebraska. Isn't that the way we know the truth about anyone in our life? Don't you have to get close enough to look into their eyes? I was pretty close to Todd last night, close enough to have taken the amazing picture here, though that credit goes to Kim. Still not close enough to see the light in Todd's eyes, but he has touched me musically for many years and last night's encounter was an amazing treat. Todd is an incredible musician, talent that rivals many in the rock world. He's in his mid 50's and yet his passion is raw and vibrant in concert. The music pours from him like sweat on a hot August night in Nebraska.

Note to my beloved niece Erin: I did not throw panties, nor did I have the opportunity to talk to Todd. Had I been given that privilege I would have asked him how his trip was and if he was enjoying his visit to Nebraska. Would that have been okay?

6 comments:

erin said...

Good questions to ask. Good work.
"Like any of us were the type to sprint. We had just been swapping grandkid pictures, we weren't running anywhere."
Very funny.
I'm really glad you had a good time. : )

kristi noser said...

Man, I wish I could have gone, so many of my high school memories are tied to songs from the Cars.
LET'S GO!

Kristen said...

Great evening! I couldn't remember who this guy is so I went to itunes and listened to a song and then I remembered! He is good, I wish I lived closer so I could have seen and heard him. I'm glad you are able to scratch something off your list.

Anonymous said...

Glad you finally got to do this. And I am really glad you weren't disappointed. Please do tell, what is the guy wearing? And the hair, what is up with his hair?

Kristin said...

First, I'd like to welcome my dear friend Kristen to blog land. She's been lurking in the shadows, reading and not responding. Glad you've joined us.

Todd was wearing narrow European cut black slacks and a really wild print shirt. It must have been some sort of stretch fabric, he was crazy with a guitar and never adjusted his shirt once. The hair is long, and looked to be well cut until he started sweating like crazy. It's naturally dark, according to old photos. The bleach part on top is just interesting. That's all I can say. No one ever said Todd was good looking. Well, maybe his mother.

The drummer, he had on a black outfit with white polka dots from head to toe. The keyboard player was in jeans, a t-shirt and red Chuck Taylors.

KT~MolarArtist said...

"I couldn't remember who this guy is so I went to itunes and listened to a song and then I remembered!"

And then you went and downloaded everything he's ever done... :)

It is most interesting to me how different music affects different people. Some music you love, most become neutral, and others you just can't stand. When I heard Todd Rundgren for the first time -- over 30 years ago (!) -- I became somewhat obsessed with him and his music. From those mid 1970s to now, I've colleced everything he's recorded, both solo and group (Utopia & New Cars). I've seen him probably nine or ten times in concert. I love his music.

And, yes, he's still making new music; the most recent solo album - Liars -- was released in 2004. Last year he was on the New Cars' It's Alive. TR's music is out there, just not on the local airwaves. I don't know about you, but I haven't depended on the FM radio for exposure to new music for a long, long time. You're just not going to hear much Todd on the local classic rock radio. Other than "I Saw the Light," "Hello It's Me," and "Bang on the Drum," most people in the general public don't recognize his name and they don't know his other work.

You will, however, find his touch as producer, engineer, and/or musician on the following musicians (to name just a few...): Badfinger, Meatloaf's Bat Out of Hell, Foghat, Grand Funk's We're an American Band, Hall and Oates, Bette Midler, Manhattan Transfer, The Tubes, Cheap Trick, Rod Stewart, XTC, and Paul Shaffer. His behind-the-scenes influence is huge in the music industry.

"And the hair, what is up with his hair?"

Todd's hair has been interesting for a long time. The self-titled Todd album cover from 1974 sports a colorful rainbow 'do. Cool, eh?

Hey, if you're interested in hearing some more from OH (Our Hero), go get one of the many greatest hits compilations. Then get Something/Anything for his biggest and arguably best work. For recent stuff, Liars is a recent favorite.

As for the future, I'm looking forward to more solo stuff. Many times he multi-tracks and does all the instruments and voices himself. If he stays with the New Cars, I hope they make a whole album of new material. I'm really bummed they didn't play the two new songs at the state fair. Yeah, I'm one of those fans who don't mind the old hits but am much more excited about hearing the brand new music...especially from Todd.


The visitors were never seen
They missed my monologue between
But I think you know
The letters came, the letters went
The last reply was never sent
But I think you know
I can't explain what's in my brain
That tells me where to go
But I think you know

For I would draw a diagram
To signify the things I am
But I think you know
And in the end it all boils down
A useless bit of running 'round
'Cause I think you know
And love I send to you my friend
But never tell you so
But I think you know

TR - "I Think You Know" - TODD

KT~Molarartist