Sunday, June 24, 2007

What shall we call you?

Blogging is really just an expression of our living in hope that we will be published some day. After the contract negotiations and editorial wrangling there's that one nagging question, "What shall we call you?"

My uncle, who was to be a famous musician, always wanted to be called Pierre Shastikovich. When I play lazer tag I'm known as Xena, Princess Warrior. But were I to be published in print that would open a whole other realm.

Perhaps I would choose just one name like Madonna, or the symbol formerly known as Prince. Cher almost had a commanding sound to it.

Or I could use my first and middle names as if they were all I had: Kristin Leigh. Then there's the possibility of a derivation of my husband's first name and I would be Kris Jefferson. My maiden name would provide a modicum of recognition in the world for anyone who knew me more than 25 years ago, but Kris Surface just doesn't ring for me any more.

I guess this question will have to remain unanswered for the time being.

5 comments:

erin said...

I've decided to be Erin Duffert-Desvousges. So that when an old boyfriend googles me late one night because he's lost in the throes of longing for me but can't remember my married name, he'll be able to see that I have made something of myself...while he's living in a trailer park in the swamp somewhere.
Fantasy?
You asked.

Kristin said...

Is there a particular old boyfriend on whom you would wish this fate?

erin said...

Actually, it's boyfriends, professors, and old classmates.

Kristin said...

Thought you might select Erin Richards in homage to Mary.

kristi noser said...

I always used to fantasize about being a famous singer. Since my first two initials are K.J., Kaye Jaye would have been my stage name. But you all can still call me Kristi. I LOVE YOU ALL!!!