Wednesday, June 6, 2007

UtiliKilt

Yessiree Bob, you read that right. UtilaKilt. First one I've ever seen up close and personal.

We noticed him right away as he strode onto the green. He, along with several thousand others, brought their chairs, blankets, and multicourse meals to enjoy an evening of jazz outside the campus art museum. He was noticeable not just for his fabulous main of hair, or the distinctive way he commanded the space around him, but for his ensemble. He was wearing an open neck white linen shirt, a leather thong necklace with a crystal pendant, and a kilt.

Not your average kilt, but one that looked like it could have been made by Carhart for wear on the job. It had pleats in all the right places which made it hang just right. The rows of utility pockets were a complete mystery. We knew right away he was not a Target shopper! But where would one find such a thing?

The answer came as he stepped to the table to have the artist sign his CD. His name is Randolph. Just when I was conjuring up a question in my head about where he might find such apparel, there it was - the tag, stitched into the side seam. UtiliKilt.

If anyone could wear a UtiliKilt it's a guy named Randolph.

5 comments:

erin said...

I think my husband could pull off the Utilikilt. It's probably the only kilt he COULD pull off.

Anonymous said...

I have seen them. They are great! You didn't raise the question of what he was wearing under his utilikilt. Suppose he was going commando?

erin said...

Commando under canvas? OUCH.

KT~MolarArtist said...

I heard the traditional Scottish response to "is anything 'worn' under the kilt" is the following:

"Nothing is 'worn' under this kilt. I assure you my good lady that everything is in fine working order."

Use a Scottish accent, tis a bit funnier.

Kristin said...

Oh, kt--that made me laugh out loud!