Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Weekend report -- Cheese Rules Our World

My sister and I went to Cedar Rapids, Iowa for a wonderful time away. Wish I had kept a running log of all the things we discussed. It was long and varied.

We both arrived late Friday night so settled in without much talk. Saturday morning we talked nonstop for several hours. Amazing what you don't say to people on the phone or via email. We made the 20 mile trip to Amana, Iowa where we lunched at a restaurant we had visited as children on a family vacation. I remembered a bear on the second floor of the Ox Yoke Inn that she had no recollection of. Sure enough, the bear is still there and is now on a postcard. We had a fabulous meal of fried chicken, jaeger schnitzel with spaetzle, and amazing sides.

I must comment specifically on the cottage cheese with chives. We had just come to the conclusion that, 'cheese rules our world' when we happened upon this delicacy in a dish. This was full fat cottage cheese like you don't find in the grocery store. The chives had become part of the whole thing imparting an amazing flavor.

Following the wonderful lunch we strolled shop after shop of darling gifts and treasures. We made a few choice selections and headed back to Cedar Rapids.

The Husker game Saturday night shall go unmentioned here, along with the restaurant I selected for dinner. Really, both were quite unmentionable.

Sunday we ate a burger at the Texas Road House and went our separate ways.

We talked through ideas for my upcoming presentation, reminisced and shared, talked about mom's impending move to a retirement apartment and what should happen to 40+ years of accumulated stuff. It was a marvelous weekend. Can't wait to do it again!

2 comments:

M. C. Pearson said...

Oh, I love spaetzle!

Thanks for visiting my blog.

I loved Tosca's book, too. I'm having my 12 year old son read it now...then we will discuss the questions in the back. Remarkable writing...and subject.

erin said...

I'm so glad you had a good time!
Also, cheese rules my world.