Sunday, July 29, 2007

I Messed Up

My friend Ashley came to stay with us this weekend. Our relationship is sort of an informal Big Sister's type thing. This all begain several years ago when her mother and I worked together, and like most single moms she needed a break every once in a while. At the time Ashley was in kindergarden, having a hard time getting along in school. She's grown up a lot since then. She'll be in 5th grade this year and is 'graduating' from the behavioral skills program, she will proudly tell you.

For whatever reason God has blessed me with a special measure of grace where Ashley's concerned. She can play the same tune on my piano hundreds of times, and it doesn't bother me in the least. She can ask me dozens of questions about nothing and everything, I answer her as best I can, and wait almost anxiously for the next one. I don't remember having near as much patience with my own children.

What I learned from Ashley this weekend was something special. Her sister came with her this time. We played cards, walked the dog, and eventually I taught them to play Snood, one of those really addictive computer games. They were sharing the computer amazingly well, taking turns and sharing the fun. This went on for a while until eventually Ashley wanted to take another turn before she relinquished control of the mouse. Her reason? "I messed up."

In her mind that was a perfectly logical reason as to why she should be given another chance. She knew she had misfired one shot and wanted to do it better the next time.

Because of Jesus we get to do that all the time. We get chance after chance after chance to keep taking our turn because we mess up. What an amazing gift.

1 comment:

erin said...

What a nice story! Isn't it cool how a child can bring us humbly to our knees?