Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Cars, gotta love 'em

Driving to a speaking engagement in central Nebraska when a new light appeared on the dashboard of my 1997 Honda Passport. I was used to the 'chk engine' and 'chk trns' lights, they'd been blinking for almost a year. But this light was red and equally cryptic, 'chk at tmp' like someone was texting from under the hood.

I ignored the light and kept driving. I was barely going to make it to Hastings in time to speak, what was I to do? The Honda was running fine, at least from the driver's seat, so I kept driving. When I got off the interstate and came to the first stop light I realized that something was seriously wrong. There was a serious "CLUNK" when it finally dropped into gear. Made it to the parking lot, dashed in, changed clothes, handed music to my accompanist, and smiled through the lunch until it was my turn to sing and eventually to speak.

After the presentation I tried the car. Nothing but reverse, and even that was questionable.

The remaining details of the next 24 hours are almost too painful to recount, so I'll spare you the details, and share only the highlights. Spoke and sang that evening and then spent the night in Grand Island with a dear cousin who took me in. The Honda was pronounced dead. I bought a car. Learned afterward that I agreed to pay entirely too much money for the car. Spoke in Aurora. Drove my new car home. Spent today on the phone with my 'sales consultant' who happens to be the son of a dear friend. Had to finally say -- look sweetie, I know you've only been selling cars for two months, and I know you haven't made your quota for the month, but I'm returning this one. Still have the car, it will be Saturday before I can return it. After that I will have no car again.

Does it get any more fun than that?

2 comments:

Julie Florom said...

We are also in "car buying" mode, but for less-dire reasons. Hayden turns 16 on Monday and we're soon going to need a 3rd set of wheels. When I say "car buying" mode, what I really mean is that one of us is in car buying mode while the other one of us is in car "researching" mode. I'll let you discern which of us is which.

Kristin said...

Jules,

I have a car for you. It's a nice, reliable Saturn. Sitting at Floro Motors on 27th. It's on our short list if we end up taking back the other and buying something to get by for a while.

Welcome to my blog. Do you have one?