Monday, May 21, 2007

A moment in time they'll never forget

Our church family was fairly small, but growing quickly. Chairs were often set up to the back doors of the sanctuary and new faces were a common occurrence.

Our family was growing as well. Nick and Miranda were probably 4 and 3, Kelsey just a baby. Running late, Jeff let us out at the door so I could deposit children and we could sneak into the service already in progress. Big kids to their room, check. Kelsey and the diaper bag to the nursery, check. That left my Bible and purse as the remainder of items still hanging on my arm.

Standing in the foyer are a new couple and myself. We're both waiting for an opportunity to duck in relatively unnoticed. I introduce myself and find that their names are Rick and Carol. We can't really chat being so close to the faithful who actually made it to the service on time and have their backs pressed up to the doors. Still I find them a little standoffish. Okay, we all know what it's like to be a visitor at a church. 'Don't give anyone your name, just get in and get out so you can talk about the church in the car.' But this was more than that. She was polite enough, but he barely looked at me.

Then, it happened. I looked down to discover that I was unbuttoned, to the waist! The baby wrangling and diaper bag had done the unthinkable leaving my upper half clad only in something by Bali.

Rick and Carol still attend our church. That hasn't changed. But one thing has changed, I no longer wear anything with buttons down the front. It was all just too traumatic.

4 comments:

kristi noser said...

Ohmystars. How embarassing. Did you ever go back? Kudos to the husband for not looking and staring and ogling and...

erin said...

SO funny!

erin said...

Speaking of moments...I keep thinking about the foot-lotion / sandal / wipe-out story. Tell that one next!

Carla said...

After wandering around church with my zipper down some kind soul politely told me to zip it! I would have helped you out by telling you. :)