Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Ever wonder why they're called 'slides'?

My husband and I, being as environmentally conscious as two people who own not one but two SUVs can be, drive to work together every day. Not only are we taking away Al Gore's platform, but we save a ton of money on gas. This serves the dual purpose of allowing me a few extra minutes to primp and prepare for the day while he drives. We also play along with a radio game show, "Battle of the Sexes" but that's a story for another day.

One day in early spring I notice that my heels are particularly dry. Not that my feet are ever in great shape, but this was something even I couldn't ignore. Thinking quickly, because that's what I do in the morning, I grab lotion out of my purse. The label says to "Apply liberally to thirsty skin." If these feet aren't thirsty I don't know what is. I'm applying, my feet are lapping up the bounty, and before you know it we're in front of my office. Unfortunately for me, my feet weren't done yet. They were still drinking when they needed to be gripping, the soles of my slides! I didn't go down, but it was only by sheer force of will.

It was at least noon before I could stay on my shoes. Guess that will teach me to be liberal! Some of us are just conservative, all the way to our toes.

Happy Birthday to my wonderful sister Kathleen! A woman who has all the grace anyone could ever hope for...

4 comments:

Carla said...

ohmygosh. I just did the same thing the other day. Almost broke my neck.
Thirsty feet should maybe only have a drink when they are getting ready for bed.

Anonymous said...

Someday when I start blogging, I will tell the story of the face first fall at the funeral home. Or maybe the complete drop when giving a class presentation. Or how about the "I thought I was on the last rung" ladder drop. your ever graceful sister, kathleen

Kristin said...

and we're waiting for 'someday' why? I can't wait to hear these stories again!

erin said...

You can blog again. It's ok.