Monday, January 7, 2008

Why we hide

Our friend's son was recently engaged. They got the news two days later on a scrap of paper on the kitchen counter. Begs the question just how excited he was about his decision. I was recently placed in a position of having someone unexpected at our table for a holiday dinner. If the person bringing the guest didn't think it was a good idea to tell me ahead of time that this particular guest would be joining us, what made them think I would respond positively?

Why do we hide? When Adam and Eve realized the enormity of their shame they hid from God. When our dog does something bad we don't have to find the mess, we can tell by his hanging head and hiding behind me that he knows he's in trouble.

If there's news in your life you should be so proud of the choice you've made you should want to shout it from the mountain tops. Wake your parents to tell them you're engaged. Bring your guest, but call ahead to let the hostess know how excited you are the person you adore is able to join you for the holiday dinner.

Otherwise, we have to wonder just how excited you really are.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

we've heard the saying 'live out loud' before...good reminder!

erin said...

I still do this occasionally. For some reason, with certain people, I have trouble being my REAL self. Being proud of who I am. I see it as an area that I need growth. God is helping, but it's a slow process.